A month later Mr. Garcia resigned from his position in protest, charging at the time that Mr. Eckert’s summary included “numerous materially incomplete and erroneous representations of the facts and conclusions.”
Peter Rossberg, the Bild reporter who obtained the hefty, secret document that had come to be known as the Garcia Report, wrote on his Facebook page late Monday night that the dossier did not provide “definitive proof” that the 2018 and 2022 World Cups had been “bought.” He said, however, that it nevertheless provided important details that would contribute to a larger picture of what he called a “completely corrupt system.”
But before Bild could publish the information, FIFA scooped the newspaper by releasing the report itself.
FIFA said in a news release that “the new chairpersons of the independent Ethics Committee, Maria Claudia Rojas of the investigatory chamber and Vassilios Skouris of the adjudicatory chamber, have decided to publish the report,” and contended that FIFA’s president, Gianni Infantino, had “on numerous occasions” had called for the report’s release.
“Despite these regular requests,” FIFA said, “it is worth noting that the former chairpersons of the Ethics Committee, Cornel Borbély and Hans-Joachim Eckert, had always refused to publish it.”
Mr. Eckert, who had said privacy concerns had made publication of the report “impossible,” and Mr. Borbély, the investigator who had replaced Garcia, were removed from their posts earlier this year. At the time, they implied their ongoing ethics investigations into several top figures in FIFA had been thwarted by their ouster.
On Tuesday, FIFA claimed the high ground. “For the sake of transparency,” it said, “FIFA welcomes the news that this report has now been finally published.”
New York Times journalists are reading the Garcia Report and will update this article as new information is revealed.
Continue reading the main story