Victoria Azarenka said Monday that she was planning to return to competition before Wimbledon.
Azarenka, who was ranked No. 1 for seven months in 2012 and 2013, went on a break last July to have her first child. She had previously been targeting a return at the Bank of the West Classic in California, which begins July 31.
In a statement on Twitter, Azarenka said, “my training has been progressing well and I feel ready to start competing,” adding that she planned “to play one of the grass court events prior to Wimbledon.”
Wimbledon starts July 3.
Azarenka won the Australian Open in 2012 and 2013, and has twice reached the Wimbledon semifinals.
Continue reading the main story